Right off the bat I’d like to apologize for the obvious link bait title however, I promise that by the end of the post I will have made it up to you.
What I’ve done here is compile a list of different techniques that can be implemented to drive more traffic to your blog. There are many popular “Top Ways” to increase blog traffic or numbered list of whatever blog posts available online.
The numbered posts are very attractive because they promise us something and immediately set our expectations. But I have to be honest, although they may have a higher click-through rate when compared to other article titles, I’m tired of seeing them.
Why I Rarely Read Them
The market is flooded right now with numbered post titles such as Top 10 things, 3 Best Ways to and 6 Great Reasons You Should. Some bring up very good points, examples and tips while others are just link bait designed to get you to visit a site. In addition, a lot of them mention the same techniques throughout each post; I mean, how many different ways could there be to bring in new readers?
How I did My Research
Very popular among SEO’s are Google’s search operators which are often used to fine tune results we’re looking for. These codes added to search queries reduce the amount of results that are returned making is easier for us to find something specific. The following are a list of search operators and queries I used to find that data used to write this blog post:
- increase traffic to my blog
- “increase blog traffic|traffic to your blog”
- * ways to “increase blog traffic|traffic to your blog”
- * ways to “increase blog traffic” with
Using only the results found on the first page of Google I found the following 19 titles:
|15 Tips to Increase Blog Traffi||21 tactics to increase blog traffic|
|5 Ways to Increase Blog Traffic||50 Tips To Increase Traffic To Your Blog|
|5 Creative Tips to Increase Blog Traffic and Boost Your Business||10 Tips to Increase Blog Traffic with Facebook|
|6 Tips To Increase Blog Traffic||6 Ways To Increase Blog Traffic From Facebook|
|50 Ways to Increase Blog Traffic…||10 Tips to Increase Blog Traffic with LinkedIn|
|8 Ways to Increase Blog Traffic||5 Tips to Increase Traffic to Your Blog With Pinterest|
|5 Creative Ways to Drive More Traffic to Your Blog Posts||10 Tips to Increase Blog Traffic with Google+|
|10 powerful ways to increase blog traffic to your blog||10 Tips to Increase Blog Traffic with YouTube|
|Increase Blog Traffic! 8 Great Ways That Really Work||10 Tips to Use SlideShare to Increase Blog Traffic|
|5 tips to help increase traffic to your blog|
Once I had the URLs and titles from each of the above I compiled a list of the total amount of ways to increase traffic to a blog, which is how I got the number 249. After I read each post and finished my list, the next step was to fine tune the results and remove any duplicate or similar techniques.
I removed suggestions such as submit press releases and create a posting schedule as presses releases should be reserved for product launches and big announcements and while posting schedules will help with orgnization, they will not directly impact traffic to your blog. Some other suggestions I removed were non-specific ones such as post your link throughout the internet.
While Google Analytics is very important to have to measure our blogs success, it too will not directly affect traffic to our blogs. But seriously, add Google Analytics people! It is important to see why and how one blog out performs another so that is another reason to set up tracking.
What was left was the following list so, without further ado, I present 125 ways to increase traffic to your blog.
You can stop scrolling now
As promised, here is the complete list of 125 ways to increase traffic to your blog.
- Add Graphics, Photos and Illustrations (with link-back licensing)
- Add Value to a Popular Conversation
- Add your blog URL to your email signature
- Add Your Blog Website to Your Pin’s Descriptions
- Aggregate the Best of Your Niche
- Allow People to Print, Share, Embed, and Download Your Presentations
- Allow Sharing and Embedding of Your Videos
- Also include guest posts on your blog
- Always follow those who re-tweet your content.
- Always use relevant alt tags and titles for your images.
- Answer emails!
- Ask and Answer Questions
- Attend and Host Events
- Attend (blogging) conferences and any “gatherings” related to your niche. Throw business cards around with wild abandon. Network like crazy.
- Be Active
- Be Human
- Be interviewed
- Begin commenting on other blogs
- Be careful with this one, don’t overdo it. Too much of a good thing…
- Break news
- Create a post about something that just happened
- Check Google Trends
- Comment on other people’s Facebook pages to drive traffic back to your own.
- Complete Your Profile Strategically
- Connect with People
- Connect Your Web Profiles
- Consider Guest Blogging
- Consider Including Annotations
- This will keep your content relevant and fresh
- Contact the press directly
- Create “link love” posts and let each blogger know that you are linking to them.
- Create a “Frequently Asked Questions”
- Create a 6-Second Preview of Your Post with Vine
- Create a Facebook fan page
- Create a SlideShare Profile Overview of Your Post
- Create a YouTube channel.
- Create an infographic.
- Create an interactive experience
- Create and post to your RSS feed frequently
- Create and Upload Videos that are Relevant to Your Blog Audience
- Create articles on controversial topics
- Create both a “For Experts” and a “For Dummies” section
- Create Circles (Google+)
- Create pages on Squidoo and Hubpages
- Create Playlists (Podcasts)
- Create the Best Content you Possibly Can
- Create Your Own Groups
- Create your own local periodical meet up for bloggers or for your blog’s niche.
- Meetup.com is great for this
- Don’t Be Shy – Talk to everyone about your blog
- Embed Your Presentations on Your Blog
- Enable Subscriptions via Feed + Email (and track them!)
- Ensure All of Your Pages are Being Indexed
- Find Friends – Ask them to share your content
- Find out who’s linking to you
- Focus on One Specific Topic
- Focus on problems – offer a solution
- Frequently Reference Your Own Posts and Those of Others
- Get on Blog Catalog.
- Get on the RSS feeds of the top 3 blogs
- Get Rich Pins for Your Blog
- Give and Request Recommendations
- Give Your Readers a Reason to Visit Your Blog
- Guest Blog (and Accept the Guest Posts of Others)
- Hashtag Optimization
- Hold a competition or contest. The prize doesn’t have to be huge!
- Host Hangouts
- Host webinars with other bloggers – tap into their audience.
- Host your images on flickr
- Include a link to your blog in any and all online profiles you complete.
- Include Keywords in Your Video Descriptions
- Include Presentation Transcriptions
- Include Your Blog URL at the Beginning and End of Each Video
- Incorporate Great Design Into Your Site
- Instagram an Image From Your Post
- Install the related posts plugin.
- Integrate and Cross-Promote
- Interact on Other Blogs’ Comments
- Interact with peers on forums – Join & Post
- Interlink your pages.
- Link to older posts as well as static HTML pages
- Interview other bloggers and tap into their audience.
- Invite guest posters.
- Jump on the Google+ bandwagon and create your own page.
- Keep Consistent With Your Posts
- Keep in touch with bloggers you know – nurture relationships.
- Keep Your Blog Current to Increase Blog Traffic
- Keyword Research
- Leave trackbacks on other blogs.
- Leverage the power of “versus”
- Link Your Uploaded Pins Back to Your Website
- Make It Interesting
- Make sharing simple – include highly visible social media buttons on your posts.
- Make Sure Your Presentations Include Your Blog URL
- Make your blog beautiful.
- Make your blog easy to navigate.
- Make Your Videos Public and Allow Comments
- Mention other Facebook pages on your wall and you will show up in their feeds.
- Never stop trying new things.
- Nominate Yourself and Other Blogs for Blog Awards
- Offer Free E-books
- Offer yourself up for interview on other bloggers’ podcasts.
- Participate in Q+A Sites
- Participate in Social Sharing Communities Like Reddit + StumbleUpon
- Participate in the Communities Where Your Audience Already Gathers
- Pin Your Post to a Pinterest Group Board
- Provide amazing content that influencers want to repin
- Print some business cards. Hand them to everyone and anyone.
- Produce a video course.
- Promote Outside Your Blog
- Promote Your Facebook Link
- Provide Full Presentation Descriptions with Keywords
- Reach out to bloggers you like – build relationships.
- Referring To Your Posts And That Of Others Frequently
- Release a free product and ask your readers to “pay with a tweet”.
- Remember Search Engine Optimization
- Repurpose Your Presentations Whenever Possible
- Respond to your blog comments!
- Reveal pricing
- Search out and follow likeminded people on Twitter (search by keyword, or by hashtags, etc).
- Sell Things via Your Blog
- Share Blog Posts On Your Fan Page
- Share Your Best Blog Content Links
- Share Your LinkedIn Profile Link
- Showcase your top articles
- Start a newsletter
- Start a periodical newsletter to bring visitors back to your blog on a regular basis.
- Start producing a podcast and tap into the huge iTunes market.
- Submit Your Blog to Search Engines
- Submit Your Posts to Social Bookmarking Sites
- Submit your site to major directories
There you have it, 125 different techniques we should all start using to increase traffic and readership to our blogs.
My Two Cents
Using all of these methods may not be an option for some but there are plenty of new ideas here to try. I for one am excited to try several of these starting today! I sincerely hope that whatever methods you decide to use, they are beneficial to you and bring you success!
Please let me know if this was helpful to you and which new techniques you plan on using.